Tuesday, December 8, 2009

How not to plan a cooking day!

The title couldn't have said it any better. Normally I plan a cooking day several days in advance, check my shelves, clean the house, and shop at least 1 day before cooking. Today however is an exception. We are having a snow day today and if we get everything the weather reporters are calling for we most likely will not have school tomorrow. Sooo I decided to do a little freezer cooking today and possibly tomorrow. When hubby got home this morning (he works nights) I quickly went to the closest grocery store (not a good idea for saving money) for some things I will need (I hope I didn't forget anything important). I don't drive in the snow/ice unless it is an emergency so if I am missing ingredients too bad!

So without further blathering here is my plan:

Dinner for tonight beef stew in the crock pot Done

Here is my recipe
1 to 2 lbs of stew beef
1 lb baby carrots
1/4 onion cut into rings and placed on top (my family doesn't like the onion but I do. This way I can have the onion without it being in their bowls too)
5 med. potatoes peeled and chopped
seasoning mix
1 can beef broth
1 T worcestershire
1 T steak sauce
Season salt and garlic salt to taste about 1 tsp.
Layer potatoes, carrots, meat, seasoning, and onion cook on low for 8 hours

I typically mix the seasoning and put it in a large ziploc baggie with the stew beef and then place it in the freezer. Then on cooking day all I have to do is thaw, add potatoes, carrots, and onions.



Spaghetti and Meatballs done
5 lbs. deer burger turned into meatballs for spaghetti
2 batches of garlic pizza dough for breadsticks

I will freeze the meatballs with spaghetti sauce so that all I have to do on cooking day is thaw the meatballs/sauce, cook the noodles, and bake the breadsticks.


ingredients needed
5lbs deer meat
Saltine crackers at least 3 pkgs
3 eggs
5 jars spaghetti sauce
onion
3 boxes spaghetti noodles (you can precook the noodles but I prefer to make them the day we eat)
mushrooms, green peppers, onions etc. to taste


Meatball Recipe
5 lbs ground deer/beef
3 pkgs saltine crackers crushed
3 eggs
1/2 onion grated
1 tsp. Fresh ground pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp frech minced garlic
5 jars spaghetti sauce

mix meat, crackers, eggs, onion, pepper, garlic salt, and minced garlic. Shape into meatballs, cook over low heat in a lightly oiled skillet or pot. Once browned add enough spagetti sauce to cover meatballs, cover and simmer until meatballs are cooked through. Allow to cool, place in labeled freezer bags.

Pizza Crust with toppings and sauce attached in baggies done
3 batches garlic pizza crust
mozzarella cheese
pepperoni
1 & 1/2 jars pizza sauce


This is the first time I have tried this freezer cooking plan with pizza, I plan to freeze the dough as soon as it is done mixing (shaped in a ball) I will put enough cheese about 1 1/2 C, pepperoni 1/2 C, and pizza sauce 1/2 jar in seperate baggies attached to the dough bag to make 1 large pizza.

Lasagna (meatless because my husband doesn't like gound beef) done
box lasagna noodles
jar sauce
cheddar cheese
mozzarella cheese


Lasagna Recipe
1 Box Lasagna noodles
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 4 C bag mozerella cheese
1 2 C bag cheddar cheese

Cook noodles until al dente
layer noodles, sauce, cheese, repeat ending with cheese on top.

Bake at 350 until bubbly on top about 30 minutes.

Allow to cool completely then place in the freezer to flash freeze. Once frozen remove from pan and put into a labeled freezer bag.

I will be assembling, baking, and freezing in 2 small pans 9" by 9" once the lasagna is frozen I pop it out of the casserole dish and put it into a freezer bag.


I planned to do some chicken dishes but they will have to wait until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipes! Looking forward to hearing what you do with the chicken too...I have a lot of that! :)

    ReplyDelete